One of the most common roofing methods is shingling. Using individual shingles, roofers can provide simple, cost-effective, and stylish roofing solutions for homes and businesses. Here’s everything you need to know about roof shingles before you opt for this roofing material.
What Are Roof Shingles?
Roof shingles are a roof covering that roofers lay in an overlapping style for maximum protection. Typically, pitched roofs use shingles. Shingles come in a flat, rectangular shape and manufacturers make them out of different materials. Common shingle materials include asphalt, wood, slate, metal, and plastic. They can come in a variety of colors, and you can also opt for square or horizontal shaped shingles.
What Is Involved in Shingle Installation?
A professional roofer will perform the following services to safely and effectively install your roof shingles:
- Safety preparation, such as building code review and mitigating fall hazards
- Roof analysis to determine shingle configuration and to plan the construction
- Deck preparation, smoothing out your roof deck, removing debris, and plugging gaps and holes
- Shingle installation from the bottom layer upwards
- Ice dam protection and ventilation installation
- Installation of roof underlayment for additional protection
- Joint and valley coverage to assist in water shedding
- Installation of hip and ridge caps
What Are the Benefits of Roof Shingles?
Roof shingles can provide numerous benefits for homeowners, including:
- A lifespan as high as 25 years
- Quick and easy installation
- Multiple colors and design options
- High cost-to-value ratio
Do you need shingle installation or repair services in the Rochester area? Contact Five Star Improvements today for a quick, professional, and top-quality roofing job!